Sport Science Program for School Students
In conjunction with our Sport Science Program Sponsor MEB Foods, AAP can offer Fitness Testing, GPS and other Sports Science sessions to your school. We can provide practical sport science experiences to school students studying VCE PE, Sport and Recreation or related subjects.
Students will participate in fitness testing sessions where they will be able to collect and analyse the data obtained from these sessions. This program is hands on, students are given the chance to run parts of the fitness testing, collect data and are provided with individualised fitness reports.
University qualified staff members who are working in the elite sports industry explain the purpose of all fitness tests and their relevance to performance. Loris Bertolacci, Owner of AAP, has been involved as the Fitness Coordinator for AFL teams and other elite sports teams and athletes for over 20 years. There will also be a presentation discussing the use of Sport Science in the elite sporting arena and information regarding education and career pathways in the industry.
- Speed Tests using electronic timing gates
- Jump Mat Testing to assess countermovement and squat jumps
- Vertec and sports specific jump testing (standing long jump, running jumps)
- YO YO Intermittent tests and Beep tests
- Change of Direction and Agility tests specific to any sport
- Can do Sports Specific Testing (e.g. AFL Draft Camp)
- Fitness testing can be done pre and post training programs
Example of Basic Fitness Testing Session and Cost:
1. Speed Test 5/10/20m
2. Vertec vertical jump
3. Change of Direction (Agility) test
4. Med Ball Throw for Upper Body Power
5. YO YO Recovery test level 1
6. Group and Individual Reports emailed to staff
Cost for above Example: $10 a student or a minimum of $200
* Note that the cost can vary relative to what teacher wants but above provides a reasonable profile of tests and costs.
GPS analysis (see GPS page on website) of any specific activity outdoor activity with instant download and feedback on performances for students and teachers. Reports can also be generated. We use GPS Sports elite equipment and the same software that elite clubs use and can benchmark results to a number of sports.
OTHER SPORTS SCIENCE SERVICES
- Hydration testing (see Hydration page on website) using a refractometer before and after activities with education for students on how to monitor and maintain hydration.
- Nutrition strategy information regarding diet and supplementation for improved performance and recovery.
- Radar Gun to measure running and throwing speeds.
- Silicon Coach Biomechanics Video feedback of Speed tests so students can analyse their tests and running technique.
Sport Science Presentation
The sessions will include a presentation that will cover topics such as:
- Insight into the elite exercise and sport science industry. This will look at various examples of GPS, Physical Loading, Hydration and Fitness Testing data. The information will come straight from elite sources.
- Information about career and tertiary education pathways into the exercise and sport science industry.
Key VCE PE knowledge and skill outcomes addressed:
- Collect and analyse data relating to the effects of exercise on the body’s systems and energy systems.
- Analysis of movement patterns.
- Assessment of fitness for various fitness components (including an understanding of the aims and protocols of each test).
- Participate in and analyse and evaluate nutritional and hydration procedures and strategies used to enhance individual performance and recovery
AAP Staff can travel to schools or school groups can travel to AAP’s High Performance Center in Preston. Programs can be tailored to meet specific curriculum needs and can cover diverse topics such as information and instruction on Olympic weight lifting, running technique and pilates training. Programs can be run over multiple days or weeks to fit in with class timetabling.
The program can take between 90-120 minutes although, the session length will vary on the content required and can be tailored to your classes needs.
Phone : (03) 9480 0828
Fax: (03) 9387 0627
Email: [email protected]